Friday, January 3, 2014

LJM Diary: 1/2/14 Morning Dew & Wandering Ducklings

A few pages from my diary

Thursday January 2, 2014 


It was dawn when I decided to sit outside on the balcony and drink a cup of tea. Nature is beautiful at this time of day. The landscape was filled of viewing birds flapping their wings in the sky and ducks paddling along in the water. This made me wonder… all these animals seem to be running on a schedule and its like clock work. The duck and the ducklings swim from one side of the lake to the other and they sit under the shadow of the tree then they swam from one side of the lake to the other and did it all over again. It seemed like the birds had their own system too. A flock of birds raced from one side of the lake to the other in groups of two. After the first 2 rounds I thought it was nothing but then it got to 4 and it just became entertaining. I was able to watch nature at work, literally.

This got me thinking about my life oddly enough.

I felt I was meant to sit there and over analyze nature. The birds have a system of waking up in the morning to race for the morning worm. 

Was I that driven? 

If that was the case does everything happen for a reason? 

For the longest I've truly believed it does as if this is all apart of my journey of life. 

But is it destiny… Or is it me making the wrong choices?

I sat there, pondering those questions and thought about becoming reacquainted with myself. 



How I found my love for fashion…(Life Story)

Trust me when I say I've known I was going to be in the fashion industry since I was 5 years old. I even made a Fashion binder when I was 9 years old. In that binder I would draw outfits that I thought wear stunning from TV shows to music videos to dresses that actresses would wear to Award Shows.

When I was in elementary school I wasn't able to take the classes I wanted because I was ESE but one of my counselors made it possible to take chorus. At that time singing was fun for me. The school allow us to do competitions and go on trips. (I loved singing but I wanted to learn more.)

Once I attended Odyssey in 6th grade. I wanted to tailor my classes to something in the entertainment side. I wanted to be a professional Singer or Dancer. That school had a great chorus team and I was also able to play basketball. 

But halfway through the year my mom had breaking news. We were moving to Royal Palm. I wasn't excited because the school didn't offer much and with my grades I could only enjoy basketball after school. 

During winter break of my 6th grade year my mom decided to tell me the worst thing of life. Not only are we moving again but we are moving to Georgia. (In my head I was like who even lives in GA???)

The Georgia lifestyle was completely different from what I was used to. I wasn't comfortable playing basketball so my mom enrolled me in chorus. Which helped me make friends and gave me the opportunity to travel to Tennessee. Tennessee is where I fell in love with the southern landscape. The beautiful mountains was a scene I never experienced.  

Roughly a year and a half went by my feelings for Georgia turned bitter. After complaining enough ,about missing my friends and not having any left in GA, my mom finally let me move in with my grandma back in Royal Palm. 

My mother received this awesome opportunity to do travel work in Baltimore, Maryland. So I met her during the summer of 2006 up there. That was the best summer of my life. I met my grandpa's side of the family that I never knew and created a life for myself in New Jersey. My mother realized how much I loved it and said we can move to New Jersey if I wanted to. I was extremely excited. My aunt that was living in South Jersey informed my mother of a Performing Arts school in her area. We had everything planned out….  

Who would have known that summer was gonna be the last year I would ever be blessed with the presence of my grandfather. (this is a story for another time)

My first day of high school started late that year. I didn't register for class until late Sept. and I was pissed all the cool classes were full. My only option for an elective was photography and dance.

Photography class ended up being the best thing that ever happened to me. I fell in love with the dark room and using a film camera. There is just something about a negative film that just seems so organic and the developing process makes you appreciate everything that goes into a photograph you see hanging in a museum. 

The next 3 years of high school I strategically took class to educate myself on everything. 

I registered for a drawing class to help me with my drawing skills. That experience helped and I realized I'm a great painter. 

I took dance class for 3 years. I loved how dancing made me feel but strongly disliked the teacher. 

My Junior year, I decide to take a fashion design class and that teacher didn't teach for nothing. She literally told everyone in class to read the book and then gave use these projects expecting us to know how to do sew. (I don't know about you but I'm a visual learning and sewing isn't something you teach from a book.)

The kids in my class literally came to my desk and asked me questions. So I ended up teach them how to make a pillow and how to make a pair of boxers. (That teacher was more in love with her horses than teaching if you ask me.)


I was blessed that my grandma had already taught me how to net, hand sew, crotchet, and sew with a machine. If it wasn't for her teaching me everything I know I probably would have failed that class and wouldn't have any interest in fashion.

SN: I remember one day she actually told me none of these kids choose to take this class it was just one of the electives that were left. "Why should I teach kids that don't even care?" That question always bothered me. If your a teacher you should make learning interesting for the students. (Perfect example my middle school history teacher was amazing and he made me fall in love with history. Mind you I hated history than. History channel is my favorite channel now.)

My senior year was a eventful year. My mom paid for me to go to Greece which made me fall in love with photography even more. The landscape out there was breathtaking and the trip was quite spiritual. I wish I knew the right words to describe Greece.


(This was truly my "Eat, Pray, Love" moment.)

During that year I was dual enrolled in college, had AP photography, AP Calculus AB, economics, politics, oceanography, and senior privilege.

I strategically selection my courses so I had some prerequisites to I can go to SCAD in GA. I changed my mind on moving away for college after my mom gave me an ultimatum. Either move to GA or stay here in FL so I can save money and she will buy me a car. My mom knew I wasn't ready and at the time I knew I wasn't either. 

Through community college I realized I love photography but it was a hobby of mines.

Did all this happen for a reason? I questioned if not going to GA was a good choices but who knowns…. If i would have gone this would be a different story or not even one at all.

My Pursuit of Fashion...


I continued my pursuit of fashion by getting a job working at this great company, H&M. 

I'm having a secret love affair with H&M, that is how much I love it. The customers are from all walks of life and the clothes are fresh and edgy. I love everything about H&M. I love changing department A-Areas. I love helping other departments with their moves. Every time a customer wants an outfit off a mannequin I get excited knowing I can redress her and someone might actually buy the outfit I assemble. Until the visuals change the outfit the next day.

Back then I was always in the fitting room and I hated it sometimes. I used to get so overwhelmed and stressed out being in there by myself on a busy Saturday. But every time I kept telling myself focus on the customers first than garment care later. You can't control the amount of clothes on your rack but you can help that customer that was questioning an outfit and help her find something she looks great on her.

Every time a customer walks into the fitting room when I'm working I take it as an opportunity to style them and educate them on how to dress themselves. Making a point to let the customers know not to shop in the way that you buy a complete outfit that your probably only going to wear once. But to shop and pick out clothes that you can pair with the items that are currently your closet. 

For example, this week I had a customer that wanted to buy the dress on the right. She wasn't comfortable with the length of the dress. So I suggested pairing it with some tights and add a thin belt to give you shape. She also wanted to wear a blazer with the outfit. I showed her some of the cropped blazers we had in MC but she didn't care for them. Then I showed her some of the DB cropped blazers and suggested a cardigan that I thought was cute. She didn't quite like the idea of a cardigan. But I had her try on everything. She looked at herself in the mirror an was like

Customer - "I actually like it and I can pair it with these ballet flats I just got for Christmas."
Me- "That would be cute. If you try it with some cute oxfords you can also wear it to school."
C - "You don't think it will be to short for school."
M- "If you pair it with thick knit tights it would look super cute. Plus we have a cold front coming it will definitely keep you warm."
C - "I didn't think about that. I'll try it but not for school."
M- "Alrighty."
C- "With the thick tights what kind of shoes should i wear? Because it won't look cute with the ballet flats."
M- "Do you have any combat boots?"
C- "Yeah. I have a brown pair from Charlotte Russe."
M- " That would look cute together. It will be very country chic."

I'm assuming she liked the idea because I received a shout out and a coworker that was on the register told me she bought everything.

The feeling I get after helping people is so rewarding.

I'm blessed to work in a mall where the customers have amazing personal style and they inspire me to try new garments and different ways to wear an item.

Personally when I first started I was a divided girl all the way but now my style has evolved tremendously.

I'm the Everyday girl that mixes Trend and Basic together.

On a lazy day I'm so Logg but I make it look Divided Red.

When I'm feeling like a diva I rock a Divided Black Dress with a Trend Blazer and pair it with everyday packaged tights and Carlos Santana heels.

The days I just wanna rock all black I'll pull out my Divided Grey dress throw on a Divided Black pleather vest and pair it with some combat boots and knee high socks and call it a day.

I'm grateful for H&M and how its broaden my horizon. I think that's why I haven't left.

These life experiences are just that experiences.

All of these events in my life have helped shape me dramatically. 

So maybe everything does happen for a reason.


Love,

Jamoore 

No comments:

Post a Comment